“Labor Day is as American an institution as apple pie, a day to commemorate the contributions of our fellow workers. But Donald Trump has stiffed American workers repeatedly throughout his career. Trump’s anti-worker agenda would cut middle class families off at the knees quicker than you can say ‘bankruptcy.’ The American people need a ‘you’re hired’ president, not a ‘you’re fired’ president.” – TJ Helmstetter, DNC spokesperson
Let’s take a look at Trump’s history of anti-worker comments and actions:
- Trump’s half-baked economic ideas would cost our economy 3.4 million jobs and would cause a “lengthy recession” according to Moody’s economists.
- Trump has said that “wages are too high” and he would get rid of the minimum wage.
- Trump dismissed President Obama’s rescue of the auto industry, saying “You could have let it go bankrupt, frankly… Either way would have been acceptable.”
- Trump claims that he will stand up for American manufacturing workers, but he outsourced the production of Trump-branded ties, suits, furniture, and other products to countries like China and Mexico.
- Trump’s business history in Atlantic City includes multiple bankruptcies, thousands of jobs lost, and stiffing small business contractors — all while walking away with millions for himself.
- On equal pay for female workers, Trump said “You’re gonna make the same if you do as good a job.”
- Trump models spoke out calling his modeling agency “the most crooked agency I’ve ever worked for” and compared it to “modern-day slavery.”
- Trump’s running-mate Mike Pence signed a law that blocks cities from raising minimum wages, enacting paid sick days, or guaranteeing paid family leave. Under Pence, Indiana also gave incentives to companies that offshored jobs.