DNC Chair: GOP’s “mealy-mouthed” response to Trump is “outrageous”
Today on CNN, DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz called out the Republican Party’s “mealy-mouthed” response to Donald Trump’s plan to ban Muslims from entering from the United States.
Wasserman Schultz: “Our responsibility as Americans, my responsibility as the leader of one of the two major national parties, is to sound the alarm bell here. I mean, what is coming out of the Republican side of the presidential field is nothing short of un-American for a variety of reasons. One is that just that Donald Trump is hurtling us towards a repeat of the McCarthy era. It can be called nothing less than that. God forbid this man would become president, and would actually implement the outrageous proposal that we would not allow Muslims to come into our country wholesale, but even ban Muslim Americans from traveling back into the country, is just the – cries out for a unified condemnation which has not come in any shape or form from the are Republican side. And here is what I mean: mealy mouthed criticism that has come from some of the presidential candidates and unfortunately the Republican party chairman, Mr. Priebus, is outrageous. What they need to do is unequivocally state – each one of their candidates for president – that they would not support this man if he were their nominee, and every one of them continues to have raised their right hand and stand by that pledge to support this man if he is their nominee. You know, the poem that that came after World War II and the Holocaust that said, that talks about, “I didn’t speak up, and then they came for me,” applies here. Well we are speaking up, and we will continue to speak up.”
Yesterday, reporters panned the RNC’s weak response to Trump. The candidates’ responses weren’t much better. Maybe it’s because they’ve made similar comments and proposals related to Muslims that only serve to alienate Muslims in the U.S. and abroad and give our enemies fodder for propaganda, making it harder to prosecute the war on terror. For example:
- Jeb Bush called for screening refugees fleeing the Syrian conflict based on religion, saying, “I think our focus ought to be on the Christians.”
- Ted Cruz also called for Christian refugees to be allowed asylum in the United States, but not Muslims.
- Ben Carson compared refugees fleeing terror in Syria to rabid dogs, and said that a Muslim-American should not be President.
- Marco Rubio compared Muslims to ‘members of the Nazi Party,’ and went further than Trump’s plan to close mosques, arguing that diners and cafes may also need to be closed in response to Paris.
- Chris Christie said he would refuse even three-year-old orphan refugees fleeing violence in Syria.
- Carly Fiorina refused to correct a voter when he said that President Obama was “a black Muslim.”
And – just a reminder – these candidates have all pledged to support Trump if he is the nominee:
- Jeb Bush
- Ben Carson
- Chris Christie
- Ted Cruz
- Carly Fiorina
- Lindsey Graham
- Mike Huckabee
- John Kasich
- George Pataki
- Rand Paul
- Marco Rubio
- Rick Santorum